Labels

Sunday 12 December 2010

A Personal Personal Appeal Appeal

Share

Please read this appeal from someone who actually has to use the Internet, and then leave me alone.

Easy.


When I first saw Jimmy Wales' stupid face mugging out at me from above whatever Wiki page I was reading (probably http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jayce_and_the_Wheeled_Warriors), I recognised its potential for parody. His face was almost uncomfortably close, his eyes sociopathic. His was smile loaded with hipster pity, like a douchebag Mona Lisa.

The text was arrogant, sparse and begging to be 'shopped. I expected to see a tool similar to the Conservative Party parody poster generator by the end of the day.

The next time, he was walking alone, a lonely Garfunkel no doubt intended to take the edge off Jimmy's "I will kill you" eyes. The spoof-force was strong with this one.

Finally, "the horror" - Wales lurking in the darkness, his message now screaming out to the Internet "MOCK ME".

But I urge you to resist. If you value the Internet as a source of humour, "lolz", cats playing pianos etc, don't pick the lowest-hanging fruit, the easy score. A child could make fun of this.

If you consider yourself a humourist, try harder. Aim higher. Make us laugh not with sub-Seinfeld "What's the deal with the Wikipedia guy?" bits, or spoof "Jimmy watches you poop" banners, or ambiguously self-referential pictures of cats.

The next time you post, ask yourself "Am I a fry-cook or a chef?".

All the best,

Some Guy

User, Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment