Labels

Monday 18 October 2010

George Osborne; "prepared" for Christmas Satire

Share

AH HA HA! Oh, I'm sorry, you've caught me at a moment when I was thinking about the similarities between the Chancellor of the Exchequer from Britain's "The Government" and Ebenezer Scrooge from the Bible.

...and laughing. 



Ah ha ha ha.

I'm looking forward to Christmas this year and not just because we get to celebrate the time that Jesus defended his house from the 'money lenders' with a complex series of makeshift boo-bee-traps. But because I will no doubt be treated to some biting Scrooge/Osborne themed satire from Hugh Dennis and those other people who do satire.

 It's the one time of year when Radio 4 comedians get to take a break from ending all of their jokes with "ocado delivery van" and can instead make repeated references to the Greatest Story Ever Told.


I saw Hugh Dennis in Waitrose with Sandy Toksvig the other day, they said they were "looking for ideas" so I said, "are you planning on making jokes about George Osborne being like Scrooge this Christmas?"... They went very quiet for a moment and started looking at each other with surprised, happy faces. They hurriedly said "goodbye" and then walked away quickly making whispery phone calls. I think they are planning on doing what I said.



But what thinks George "McDuck" Osborne (satire!) about all of this satire? I did not see him in Waitrose so I could not ask him and I do not have time to wait around in every Waitrose in London hoping for him to come in for some double cream or tiffin (Some of us have jobs (!)) Having said that he is probably prepared, he looks like he is prepared.


What is he hiding in his mouth? Coins? (Satire)

With just weeks to go till Christmas, I am jizzing all over myself with excitement at the thought of walking past a newsstand and seeing a caricature of George Osborne wearing Victorian nightwear, holding a lamp and cowering in front of a previous Chancellor draped in chains. Ah ha ha ha ha. I am not sure who the previous Chancellor will be but that just adds to the excitement. There might even be a witty caption to the effect of "these chains are the national deficit" or something like that, though they may surprise me and make the chains something to do with child benefit. Eeek! How am I going to last the 6 weeks till December? I'm so excited I might just draw it myself. No... no, I mustn't spoil it... be patient.

Just enjoy Autumn, for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment